I think it’s important to have a clear set of values, a list of the characteristics that you define yourself by and seek to demonstrate on a daily basis. All of us have values whether we are aware of them or not and they serve as the pillars to our personal identity. I encourage you to take a few minutes and get clear about what yours are. What are the most important principles in life that guide you everyday?
I recently sat down and wrote out my top ten values and composed this list:
1. Happiness/Fun – I think the most important thing in life is to ENJOY it! To smile, to laugh, to play, to sing, to dance, to be happy and have fun!
2. Love – This is strongest emotion we can experience. Both giving and receiving love is a vital part of being human and we must create endless opportunities in our lives for doing so.
3. Passion – I have to be passionate about what I do. For me, passion is like the breath of life itself, fueling every action I take and pushing me to move forward everyday with excitement and energy.
4. Honesty – Being honest with other people and also with myself is something I greatly value and am committed to demonstrating in all situations.
5. Sincerity – I want to be regarded as a sincere person that truly cares about others and am genuine in my interactions with all people. There is no room for being “fake” in my world.
6. Growth – I think that everyday is a chance to grow and that it’s important to put significant work into my personal development, allowing me to become a better person and reach my full potential.
7. Integrity – If you say you’re going to do something, do it! I try my best to be a man of my word and never let people down.
8. Health – I believe in taking care of my body through eating healthy and exercising, which has become a positive and beneficial habit that I greatly enjoy.
9. Intelligence – Leaders are readers. Books, essays, stories, articles, blogs and anything that can inspire an expanded insight and teach new things are vital tools that I use to satisfy my thirst for knowledge.
10. Contribution – The act of giving back to your community, of helping those in need and offering your services to people who need them is an admirable exploit that should be practiced by all.
Hopefully this inspires you to take a look at what your own values are and really consider the hierarchy of principles that guide you through life. Are you holding yourself to a higher level of standards or simply drifting by without a strong definition of your moral code?